Matelote de poissons d'Alsace
Matelote de poissons d'Alsace – Alsation Matelote (fish stew)
- 3½ lbs fish ready to cook as follows:
- 1 lb filet of pike,
- 1 lb filet of carp
- ½ lb eel
- 1 lb filet of perch
- 6 crayfish
- The heads and tails to make a fumet
- 2 shallots
- 1 cup Riesling,
- 1 oz sugar
- 1 oz butter
- 1 oz flour
- ½ cup cream
- 1 bouquet garni
- salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 oz. (½ cup) grelot onions (may substitute Mexican green onions)
- 4 oz. (½ cup) white mushrooms, fresh
- Wash the fish and remove any remaining debris. Cut the fish into 2 oz pieces approximately. #Place in a buttered baking dish
- Add the finely minced shallots. Salt lightly.
- Prepare a fumet with the fish heads and tails, the Riesling, 1quart water, the bouquet garni and the garlic, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 30 mins.
- Strain the boiling fish stock over the pieces of fish in the baking dish Cover with aluminum foil.
- Place in the oven at 450ºF. Bake for 10 minutes Remove from the oven.
- Place the stock in a casserole or a cocotte en fonte (Dutch oven). Mix the butter with the flour. Add this to the liquid, stirring well to avoid lumps. Reduce to the desired thickness
- Add the crème fraîche and heat gently until it comes to the boil. Stop the cooking and strain through a chinois
- Arrange the pieces of fish on a well-heated plate and coat with sauce.
- Sauté the onions and mushrooms
- Add this mixture to the plate with a few croûtons rubbed with garlic
- Add one crayfish per plate
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- As an accompaniment, serve Nouilles fraîches à l'Alsacienne (fresh Alsatian noodles), or steamed potatoes.
- A dry Riesling will enhance the flavour of the different fishes.