- In a large deep dish, soak the whole matzos in the wine for 5 minutes, being careful not to break them.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until light and lemon-colored.
- Stir in the matzo meal.
- In a clean small bowl, beat the egg whites with the salt until the egg whites are stiff but not dry.
- Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- Combine the preserves and nuts in a small bowl.
- Mix well.
- Arrange the sliced apples in a shallow dish; sprinkle with the cinnamon.
- Heat the honey and oil in a 8 x 8-inch baking pan over low heat.
- Stir until blended.
- Carefully place 1 matzo in the center of the pan and spread with half of the egg mixture.
- Place the second matzo over the filling and spread with half of the preserves mixture.
- Place the third matzo on top of this and arrange the sliced apples and cinnamon evenly over the matzo.
- Cover with the fourth matzo; spread with the remaining preserves mixture.
- Top with the fifth matzo.
- Stir any leftover wine into the remaining egg mixture and spread over the top and sides of the strudel.
- Bake in a preheated 325°F oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut into portions while still warm, but leave in the pan to cool thoroughly.
- Serve cold.