Monte Cristo Sandwiches
Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- From Montréal, Québec
- Serves 4
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- 4 slices cooked turkey
- 4 slices cooked ham
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup commercial sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs (about)
- vegetable oil
- Combine mayonnaise and mustard, stirring well; spread on one side of each bread slice.
- Place one slice each of turkey, ham, and cheese on top of 4bread slices.
- Top with remaining bread.
- Cut each sandwich in half diagonally; secure with wooden picks.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until stiff; set aside.
- Beat eggs; add sour cream and milk, stirring well.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Dip sandwich halves in batter; coat with breadcrumbs.
- Carefully lower sandwich halves, one at a time, into deep hot oil (375°F); fry until golden brown, turning once.
- Drain;remove wooden picks.
- Serve sandwiches immediately.