Mrs. Truman's Tuna Casserole
This recipe came from the kitchen of Bess Truman and is one of President Truman's favorite recipes. Mrs. Truman had a well-equipped kitchen and often prepared breakfast or lunch for her family. The Trumans also employed several African American women who cooked for the family.
- Bess's Recipes from the Harry S. Truman National Historic Site, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Cook Time: 20 minutes to bake
- elbow macaroni
- water-packed tuna, drained
- 1 cup cream of celery soup
- less than ¼ cup milk
- cheddar cheese
- bread crumbs
- hard boiled egg
- Cook elbow macaroni for 20 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Stir in tuna, cream of celery soup and milk.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes or until bubbles form.
- Slice hard boiled egg on top.