Mushroom, Apple and Goat Cheese Salad
If you receive candied or spiced nuts as a holiday gift, try them on this salad for a special touch. To splurge, use a variety of mushrooms such as shiitake, portobello, oyster or enoki. Often grocers carry a gourmet mushroom mix. Standard white mushrooms will yield tasty results too.
Make the vinaigrette up to two days ahead and refrigerate in an airtight container. Let it come to room temperature and whisk before serving. From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- Source: Southern Living 2007 Holiday Dinners
- Makes 6 – 8 servings and about 1 cup of vinaigrette
- ½ cup walnut halves
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 lb assorted mushrooms, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- Honey-Balsamic Vinaigrette, divided (recipe follows)
- 1 (4-oz) package arugula, thoroughly washed
- 1 large Cameo apple, thinly sliced
- 3 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 8 – 10 minutes or until toasted.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add mushrooms, and saute 6 minutes until tender.
- Stir in 2 tbsp Honey-Balsamic Vinaigrette.
- Remove from heat, and let cool 15 minutes.
- Toss together arugula, apple, mushrooms and desired amount of honey-balsamic vinaigrette.
- Transfer to a serving dish, and sprinkle with toasted walnuts and goat cheese.
- Whisk together first 5 ingredients until blended.
- Whisk in salt and pepper to taste.
- ↑ "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group