New-style Chicken Waldorf Salad
- Original recipe
- Makes 4 servings
- 1¼ pounds (600 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ small onion, cut into quarters
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 3 large ribs celery
- 1 large Granny Smith apple
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 2 large heads Belgian endive, leaves separated
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons (22.5 ml) white wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon (12.5 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 small shallot, minced
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) Dijon mustard
- freshly ground pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, combine chicken, onion, peppercorns and enough cold water to cover.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken has cooked through, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Drain and discard onion and peppercorns.
- Cut chicken breasts crosswise into strips about 1 inch (2.5 cm) wide.
- Set aside.
- Remove and discard any strips from the celery.
- Cut each rib into thirds and julienne.
- Set aside.
- Quarter and core the apple, but do not peel.
- Thinly slice each quarter and place in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and set aside.
- Julienne endive leaves.
- Add to apple, along with chicken strips and celery.
- In a small glass measuring cup, whisk together olive oil, vinegars, shallot and mustard.
- Drizzle over chicken mixture.
- Toss and arrange on a large serving platter.
- Sprinkle with pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
- 263 calories (30% calories from fat) | 33 g protein | 9 g total fat (1.4 g saturated fat) | 12 g carbohydrates | 3 g dietary fiber | 82 mg cholesterol | 135 mg sodium
- Diabetic exchanges: 4 very lean protein | 1 carbohydrate (½ fruit, 1 vegetable) | 1 fat
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/