New York Ricotta Cheesecake
Recipe courtesy of George Stella
- 24 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup extra-fine whole milk ricotta cheese (to refine, process in a food processor for 1 minute)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1½ cups sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon no sugar added vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- special equipment: 1 (8-inch) spring-form cake pan
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray the spring-form pan with nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Set aside.
- In a shallow roasting pan big enough to fit the cake pan, pour about 1-inch of water and place it on the center rack of the oven to preheat.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat softened cream cheese, ricotta, sour cream and sugar substitute on low speed for about 1 minute until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, using a wire whisk, mix heavy cream, vanilla, lemon juice, eggs, and egg yolks until blended.
- Turn the mixer on medium speed, and slowly pour the egg mixture into the cream cheese mixture.
- Beat just until blended and then turn off; be careful not to over-whip.
- Pour batter into the greased spring-form pan.
- Place pan into the heated water bath.
- Bake for 15 minutes, and then lower the oven temperature to 275°F.
- Continue baking for 1½ hours, or until top is light golden brown and cake is pulling away from the sides of the pan.
- Turn the oven off when finished cooking and leave the cake in the oven to cool for 3 more hours.
- (this will keep the cake nice and tall.
- ) then remove cake and refrigerate before serving.
- Serve chilled.
- Calories 299 | Fat 28g | Saturated Fat 18g | Carbohydrates 7g | Fiber 0g | Net Carbohydrates 7g
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/