Old-fashioned Ginger Beer
It is quite a long process but well worth the effort. The amount of sugar in the final stage can be varied according to taste.
For The Starter
To Feed the "Plant"
- Stir the starter ingredients, cover and leave in a warm place for 24 hours. This is your starter "plant".
- Feed the "plant" with 1 teaspoon each of ground ginger and sugar each day. After 7 days, strain through a fine sieve.
- Dissolve the sugar in 2 pints of water.
- Add the lemon juice and the liquid from the "plant".
- Dilute with 5 pints of water, mix well and store in corked bottles for at least 7 days.
- Use strong bottles as pressure may build up which will cause thin bottles to explode.
- For the same reason use corked bottles rather than those with a more secure closure that will not "give" under pressure.