Open-faced "Turkey" Sandwiches with Golden Gravy
- Cover cutting board with piece of plastic wrap and place tofu halves side-by-side on top of plastic. Cover with second piece of plastic, then second cutting board. Weight down with large cans of tomatoes or a cast-iron skillet. Let stand 1 hour to compact texture and press out water.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In small saucepan, boil broth until reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in soy sauce, oil, vinegar, ginger and garlic.
- Arrange pressed tofu to cover bottom of 9 x 5-inch loaf pan; pour warm broth mixture on top. Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Transfer pan to a wire rack and cool completely in liquid.
- With slotted spatula, transfer tofu to plastic container; discard liquid. Cover and refrigerate thoroughly to firm texture, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To serve, thinly slice tofu lengthwise, holding knife at 45° angle. Place tofu slices in large saucepan, add gravy and warm through over low heat. Place slice of toast on each plate. Arrange several tofu slices on top; spoon gravy over. Serve hot, with mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce if desired.