Pâté of Pesto
- ½ cup (90 g) pine nuts
- 1 large bunch basil (about 4 cups loosely packed leaves)
- 1 clove garlic
- salt, pepper
- ⅓ cup oil
- 500 g ricotta cheese
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Place pine nuts on baking tray, bake in moderate over 5 minutes or until light golden brown, cool.
- Place basil leaves in food processor with peeled garlic, 2 tablespoons of the pine nuts, salt and pepper.
- Process until mixture is finely chopped.
- With processor still going add oil in a thin stream.
- Process a further 1 second, until the mixture forms a smooth paste. (*Blender can also be used; stop blender and scrape the mixture down sides occasionally to mix evenly.)
- Combine ricotta cheese and parmesan cheese in small bowl of electric beater, beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth.
- Combine cheese mixture with basil mixture, mix well.
- Spoon mixture into mould (or 4 small individual moulds) which has been lined with a piece of cheesecloth.
- Fold overhanging sides of cheesecloth over pate, press top down with palm of hand.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Gently lift pate out of mould, turn on to serving plate and carefully peel off cheesecloth.
- Press remaining roughly chopped pine nuts over top and sides of pate.