Passover Citrus Sponge Roll
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, adding half the sugar gradually; set aside.
- Using the same beater, beat the yolks while adding the remaining sugar, until mixture is very light.
- Stir lemon juice, rind, potato starch and salt into yolks.
- Gently fold in whites, starting with a quarter of the mixture, then adding the rest.
- Gently spread onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and lightly sprayed with non-stick vegetable oil spray.
- Gently smooth the surface.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes or until sponge has risen slightly and is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and turn cake out onto a clean cloth.
- Allow to cool.
- Spread orange filling evenly over cake and gently roll up using cloth to help lift cake.
- Sprinkle with sugar and/or whipped cream - etc.
- Combine sugar, potato starch, orange juice and lemon juice in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Boil 1 minute, while stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks.
- Stir a little bit of orange mixture into egg yolks then add yolks to the sauce pan.
- Cook gently for one minute.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons margarine, allow mixture to cool before using.