Pasta, California Avocado, Pancetta, Tomato, and Hot Pepper
- Sauté onion in butter and oil until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in pancetta strips; sauté until cooked but not browned, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato and juice, hot pepper, and ½ tablespoon salt.
- Simmer, uncovered, until liquid reduces and fats pool on surface, about 35 minutes.
- Add more salt to taste, if necessary; reserve.
- Mix Parmesan and Romano; reserve.
- Just before service, slice two avocados for garnish; mix with lemon juice.
- Cook 4 ounces pasta in salted, boiling water until just tender, about 8 minutes; drain well.
- Meanwhile mix ¾ cup sauce and ½ avocado, diced, in a sauté pan; heat through.
- When pasta is cooked and drained, stir it into the sauce; remove from heat.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Mound on a serving plate.
- Garnish with 2 slices avocado.