Pecan-crusted Custard with Peaches and Berries
From Southern Living 2007 Cookoff
- Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 3 minutes | Cool: 55 minutes | Chill: 2 Hr | Broil: 3 minutes | Stand: 5 minutes
From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- Makes 6 servings
- 2¼ cups milk
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 (4.6-oz) package Jell-O Brand vanilla flavor Cook-and-Serve Pudding & Pie
- 3 fresh peaches
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- ¾ cups heavy cream
- 6 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 – 3 cups assorted fresh berries
- garnish: fresh mint leaves
- Stir together milk and ⅓ cup maple syrup in medium saucepan.
- Stir in pudding and pie filling.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Pour mixture into a medium bowl, and let cool 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel peaches and cut into slices.
- Heat pecans in a skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly 3 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant.
- Let cool 10 minutes.
- Finely chop pecans.
- Place 4 tsp chopped pecans in each of 6 (6-oz) ramekins.
- Drizzle 1 tsp maple syrup over pecans in each ramekin.
- Beat heavy cream at medium speed with electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into cooled milk mixture.
- Spoon custard mixture mixture evenly into ramekins.
- Chill 2 hours or until set.
- Place brown sugar in a small fine wire mesh strainer.
- Using the back of a spoon, press sugar through strainer onto tops of chilled custards.
- Arrange ramekins in a shallow roasting or broiler pan filled with ice.
- Broil 5 inches from heat 2 – 3 minutes until sugar is melted.
- Let stand 5 minutes to allow sugar to harden.
- Place ramekins on individual serving plates; arrange peach slices and assorted berries around ramekins.
- Sprinkle tops of custards with remaining pecans (about 4 tsp each) garnish, if desired.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group