Poppy Seed Waffles with Blueberry Sauce
- 1 2/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/3 cups vanilla soy milk or nonfat milk
- 1/3 cup plus 2 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 2 Tbs. finely grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. powdered sugar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 200 °F. Lightly coat waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat.
4. In small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold into batter.
5. Ladle 2/3 cup batter (or amount recommended by manufacturer’s directions for your waffle iron) into waffle iron. Close lid and cook until waffles are golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Gently open lid and remove waffle with fork. Serve immediately or transfer to baking sheet and keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining batter, lightly coating iron with cooking spray each time.
6. While waffles cook, in medium saucepan, combine 11/2 cups blueberries, remaining 2 Tbs. granulated sugar, 2 Tbs. water and lemon juice. Bring to boil over medium heat and simmer until Berries burst, about 7 minutes. Stir in remaining 11/2 cups blueberries and heat until warmed through, about 4 minutes. Top each serving of waffles with 1/4 cup blueberry sauce. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.