Saskatchewan Orange-glazed Date Bars
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Yield: 3-4 dozen cookies
- 1½ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1¼ cups (8 ounces) chopped pitted dates
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup soft butter
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- orange glaze (see below)
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 1½ cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1½ teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2½ tablespoons orange juice
- Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together.
- Combine brown sugar, dates, and water in a large saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until dates soften.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to date mixture; stir until blended.
- Add milk and orange juice gradually, mixing well.
- Stir in nuts.
- Bake at 350°F about 30 minutes.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Spread glaze over top and cut into bars.
- Combine butter, confectioners' sugar, grated orange peel, and orange juice.
- Beat until smooth.