Senator McConnell's Burgoo
Home Cookin' Kentucky Recipes from the Office of Senator Mitch McConnell, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
The ingredients and time needed to complete this recipe can seem overwhelming, but it can be quite simple if you allow yourself two days to complete.
- Cook Time: About 2 days to complete
- Makes: One gallon
- 1 x 4-to-5 pound hen
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 1 pound veal stew meat
- 4 large beef bone or knuckle bones
- 4 quarts water
- 6 onions, finely chopped
- 2 green peppers, finely chopped
- 1 medium turnip, finely diced
- 8-10 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- celery, carrot, onion, parsley
- 2 cups shelled fresh butter beans
- 1 x 10 oz. can tomato puree
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 2 cups finely chopped cabbage
- 1 red pepper pod
- 2 cups fresh okra, sliced
- 2 cups fresh corn (6 ears)
- ¼ cup salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoons coarse black pepper
- ½ unpeeled lemon, seeded
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- Combine the Group 1 ingredients in a large pot, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for four hours.
- Let cool and strain.
- Finely cut chicken and meat, remove all skin, bone and gristle. (This is a perfect time to use kitchen scissors.) Return meat to stock and refrigerate.
- The following day skim off half of the congealed fat from the top of the stock. Return pot to stove, add the ingredients in Group 2.
- Simmer for one hour until thick.
- Cut corn twice and scrape cobs for milk.
- Add this along with the remaining Group 3 ingredients to the pot.
- Cook, uncovered, at 300 °F for two hours until the consistency is a thick stew.
- Serve in mugs and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley.