Shrimp and Salmon with Swiss Cheese Sauce
This is an extremely simple way to present an impressive looking entrée for a house full of guests. Salmon and shrimp are baked and then topped with a flavorful cheese sauce. Serve with brown rice pilaf and a simple green salad.
- 1 (3 lb) side of salmon, skinned, pinbones removed, rinsed and patted dry
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1½ lbs peeled and deveined shrimp, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 cup low sodium, gluten-free chicken stock
- 1 lb Swiss cheese such as Emmenthaler, grated
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Season salmon with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Rub fish all over with a tablespoon of the vegetable oil and place in a baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season the shrimp with salt and pepper and toss with remaining oil.
- After salmon has baked for 20 minutes, remove from oven and scatter with the shrimp.
- Return to oven and cook for another 10 minutes or until the shrimp are cooked through and no longer translucent.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce.
- Bring the chicken stock to a simmer over medium heat in a medium-size pan.
- Whisk in the grated cheese, allowing it to melt into the stock, making a sauce.
- Pour sauce over salmon and shrimp, sprinkle with chives and serve immediately.
Per serving (9oz/252g-wt.):
- 380 calories (140 from fat) | 15g total fat | 3.5g saturated fat | 56g protein | 2g total carbohydrate (0g dietary fiber, 1g sugar) | 225mg cholesterol | 480mg sodium
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/