Slow Cooker Curried Squash and Apple Soup
This make-ahead recipe keeps in the refrigerator for up to four days and up to two months in the freezer. For a main dish option, add cooked, diced chicken or turkey breast to the pot in the last 20 minutes of cooking. Serve garnished with a dollop of sour cream and chopped cilantro.
ChupaNote: add some rehydrated TVP or baked tofu squares or seitan to the last 20 minutes of cooking. We added: another large sweet onion, 2 more teaspoons minced garlic, 1½ more teaspoons ginger, and replaced the black pepper with 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Next time, double the curry powder too!!! Served with minced fresh bell peppers in green, red and yellow. Nice contrast with the soup.
- Source: Cooking Light, MARCH 2006
- Formatted by Chupa Babi in MC: 07.01.07
- Yield: 8 servings
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium broth
- 2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1½ teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds cubed peeled butternut squash (3 cups)
- 2 medium apples, cored, peeled, and diced (1 pound, 2 cups)
- Combine all ingredients in an electric slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until squash is tender.
- Place half of squash mixture in a blender, and process until smooth.
- Pour pureed mixture into a large bowl.
- Repeat the procedure with remaining squash mixture.
Per 1 cup serving:
- calories 95 (4% from fat) | fat 0.5g (sat 0.1g, mono 0.1g, poly 0.1g) | protein 2.6g | cholesterol 0.0mg | calcium 73mg | sodium 446mg | fiber 3.8g | iron 1.2mg | carbohydrate 22.4g
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/