Soy Bean Moussaka
- 1 cup soy beans
- 2 1/2 cups pure water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup sliced Mushrooms
- 2-4 tomatoes, depending on the size, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 lb Eggplants, stalks removed and thinly sliced
- "Cheese" Sauce:
- 1/3 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups unflavoured soy milk
- 1/2 tsp prepared yellow mustard
- Soak soy beans overnight. Drain the beans and place them in a large pot with 5 cups fresh water, and bring to a boil. Skim off any foam from the top (it's the gas-producer in beans) and lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 2 hours or until the beans are tender. Drain and reserve 1 1/4 cups cooking liquid.
Place the Eggplant slices in a strainer, sprinkling them with salt and leave for about 1 hour to allow the water to drain off and remove the bitterness. Rinse under cold running water to remove the salt, then pat dry.
Place the slices in a single layer on a grill pan, brush lightly with olive oil, and grill for about 5 minutes until lightly browned, turning once. Repeat with the remaining slices.
Place one third of the Eggplant in the bottom of a 7 1/2 cup casserole dish. Cover with half the bean mixture, then another third of the Eggplant. Spread the remaining bean mixture on top, then finish with a neat layer of Eggplant.
To make the "Cheese" sauce, combine the flour, nutritional yeast, and oil together in a small saucepan over medium heat, until the mixture start to sizzle. Slowly whisk in the soymilk and mustard and cook over medium-low heat until it achieves a thick, cheese-sauce-like consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste. You can also add a tbsp or so of tomato juice to make the "Cheese" sauce look orangey, like Cheddar would.