Cranberry sauce is typically served with turkey at Christmas or Thanksgiving. It can also be a good accompaniment to nutloaf for a vegetarian Christmas.
- Dissolve 1 cup of sugar in a mixture of the boiling water or juice
- Add apple and lemon juice
- Add 2 star anise and 4 cloves in a spice bag or tea strainer
- Add the cranberries
- Return to a boil and then reduce to a simmer
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice
- Taste and add more spices and sugar, if needed
- Simmer for 15 to 25 minutes, until the cranberries have burst and softened. If necessary, add more boiling water to keep it from getting too thick.
- Check on the level of spices and sugar again.
- Chill in a refrigerator. The sauce will thicken when it cools.