Strucle z Makiem
Poppy Seed Cake
- Soften the yeast in warm water in a bowl.
- Mix flour with sugar and salt. Cut in the butter until mixture has a fine, even crumb.
- Beat eggs and extra yolks; mix with yeast, then stir into the flour mixture.
- Add the sour cream and the vanilla and mix well. Knead dough on floured surface for 5 minutes.
- Divide in half and roll each half into a 12 inch square. Cover.
- Melt butter in a large pan.
- Add poppy seed and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add honey, lemon juice and Raisins to poppy seeds. Cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand for 10 minutes. Beat egg whites with sugar until stiff moist peaks form.
- Fold in orange and lemon peels and then gently fold in poppy seed mixture.
- Spread half of the filling on each dough square (after you uncover them).
- Roll up as you would for a jelly-roll and seal the edges.
- Place on greased baking sheets and cover. Let rise until doubled in bulk (approx. 1½ hours).
- Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
- Spread this mixture evenly over the rolls.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Bake about 45 minutes, then remove from oven and cool.