Sugar-crusted Crème Brûlée Custard
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Servings: 6
- Serve with a cup of hot coffee
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Place 6 ramekins in a roasting pan.
- Slit open vanilla bean and scrape out seeds.
- Place seeds in a saucepan with half and half.
- Heat until bubbles appear at the edge of pan.
- Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolks, and sugar.
- Whisk a small amount of warm half and half into egg mixture.
- Whisk egg mixture back into half and half in saucepan.
- Return to heat and cook 8 minutes until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Divide mixture among ramekins.
- Place pan in oven.
- Pour hot water halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Bake 22 minutes or until custard is set but still jiggly in centers.
- Remove ramekins from pan, cool.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Remove ramekins from refrigerator.
- Heat broiler.
- Sprinkle each ramekin with 2 tsp turbinado sugar.
- Run under broiler 3 minutes.
- Do not burn sugar.
- Cool slightly and serve.