Thai-style Hot and Sour Soup
Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
This Y-group is international. Good food from all parts of the world. A place where we can share the wonderful food from all over the world.
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 3 slices fresh or dried ginger
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 2 stalks lemon grass, lower ⅓ portion only, peeled, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 5 hot green Thai chile peppers, optional
- ½ cup sliced straw mushrooms
- 8 ounces shrimps or prawns, shelled and split length wise
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon roasted chile paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Bring the stock to a boil in a sauce pot.
- Add the garlic, lime leaves, ginger, sauce and lemon grass for 2 minutes.
- Then add the mushrooms and chile peppers, if using.
- Simmer for 4 more minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp are pink, opaque and firm but no longer than 2 minutes.
- When the shrimp is cooked, place the lime juice and chile paste in a serving bowl.
- Pour the soup into the bowl, stir and garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Serve at once.