Tofu Satay with Ginger-Cashew Sauce
- Soak 6 long bamboo skewers in cold water for 30 minutes or use 6 long metal skewers.
- Thread tofu, bell pepper, mushrooms and tomatoes alternately on skewers.
- Place in single layer in large glass baking dish.
- In small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, sesame oil and garlic.
- Pour over skewers and let stand 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, make ginger-cashew sauce: in food processor, place cashews and pulse on and off until ground; set aside.
- In medium saucepan, heat sesame oil over medium heat.
- Add scallions, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring often, 30 seconds.
- Stir in ground cashews, soy sauce, coconut milk and hot sauce.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 to 45 minutes, adding up to ⅓ cup water if mixture seems too thick.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare grill.
- Place marinaded skewers on grill, reserving marinade.
- Cook until lightly browned, turning occasionally and basting with marinade, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer to serving platter and garnish with cilantro if desired.
- Serve hot, with ginger-cashew sauce for dipping.