Tomato, Orange and Celery Soup
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Freezing: recommended for up to 3 months
- 4 oz potato, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1½ lbs ripe tomatoes, cut in quarters
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- juice of ½ medium-size orange
- ¾ pint vegetable stock
- 1 tsp dried basil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- thin strips of blanched orange rind, to garnish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion, potato, garlic, celery and carrot.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 – 3 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomato purée, orange juice, vegetable stock and basil.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender, pass the soup through a sieve to extract skins and pips.
- Check the seasoning before reheating gently, serve garnished with the blanched orange rind.
To blanch the orange rind, cover thin strips of peel with boiling water. Leave for 2 minutes and then drain through a sieve. The same can be done with other citrus fruits such as lemons, limes or grapefruit.