Turkish-style Green Beans with Leeks and Carrots
- To clean the leeks, cut off and discard the roots and all but 1 to 2 inches of the green tops.
- Slit the top of each in half lengthwise down to the point where the green part meets the white.
- Gently spread the leaves open and rinse the leeks very well under cool running water to remove any grit.
- Drain them well.
- Slice the cleaned leeks crosswise into ½-in.
- Long pieces and set them aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, over medium-high heat, heat the oil.
- Add the onion and cook, breaking up the slices.
- When the onion is tender but not browned, add the reserved leeks and cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes longer.
- Then add all the remaining ingredients, except the green beans, and stir gently to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil; then lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Gently stir in the green beans; then simmer, covered, for 10 minutes longer, or until all the vegetables are tender.
- Serve warm or, to serve in the Turkish manner, chill completely (several hours or overnight), and serve chilled or at room temperature.