White Asparagus in White Sauce
My other grandmother's recipe.
- 2 (14½ ounces) cans white asparagus, drained reserving liquid
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons unbleached flour
- ½ cup asparagus water
- ½ cup milk
- 4 ounces cooked ham, cut into julienne strips
- ⅓ teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Drain asparagus spears, reserving ½ cup of the liquid.
- Beat margarine in a saucepan.
- Add flour; blend.
- Gradually pour in asparagus liquid and milk.
- Stir constantly over low heat until sauce thickens and bubbles.
- Add cooked ham and seasonings.
- Gently stir in asparagus spears; heat through but do not boil.
- Serve in preheated serving dish.