Yemeni Eggplant Salad with Currants
- Cut unpeeled eggplant into ¾-inch cubes.
- Place in strainer and sprinkle with salt.
- Drain about 30 minutes.
- Heat ¼-cup of oil in pan and sauté onions about 5–10 minutes, until golden.
- Add tomatoes and spices, cooking until tomatoes and onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and currants, stir and transfer to bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to pan and cook eggplant about 30–40 minutes until tender.
- Add to tomato mixture.
- Add mint and cilantro and combine well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill.
- Best if made a day in advance.