|Time:||prep: 20 minutes
baking: 60 minutes
A traditional American recipe for a 1-2-3-4 cake, a simple form of yellow cake.
- 1 cup (240 mL) butter
- 1 cup (240 mL) milk
- 2 cups (480 mL) sugar
- 3 cups (720 mL) flour
- 3 teaspoons (15 mL) baking powder,
- 3 pinches salt
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 175 °C (350 °F)
- Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Gradually sift in the dry ingredients, alternating with small additions of the milk.
- Transfer to a greased and floured baking pan.
- Bake at 175 °C (350 °F), until a skewer inserted shows no moist crumbs.
You will need these things:
1-2-3-4 Cake ingredients.JPG
The ingredients. (Salt not shown here)
1-2-3-4 Cake cooking implements.JPG
Cooking implements: beaters, large bowl, cup measurement and large cake tin. Scales optional.
An oven, of course!
1. Preheat your oven.
Creaming butter - step 1.JPG
2. Cream the butter and sugar together.
Cracking an egg.JPG
3. Crack the eggs in, and beat them in too
1-2-3-4 Cake after beating in eggs.JPG
After beating in the eggs, it looks like this
Flour and milk.JPG
4. Now get your flour and milk
Beating flour into cake mixture.JPG
5. Mix a little bit of flour in
Beating milk into cake mixture.JPG
6. Then a little bit of milk
1-2-3-4 Cake mixture.JPG
Repeat 5 and 6 until done. By now the mixture will be very smooth
Cake mixture in tin.JPG
7. Pour the mixture into a greased and floured cake tin, then pop it in the oven
Checking if cake is done.JPG
8. Checking if the cake is "done": put a sharp knife or skewer into the centre of the cake
Dirty knife from cake.JPG
If the knife is dirty - the mixture is still wet - put it back in! (This was after about 15 minutes, it takes a lot longer)
Finally, it's done! Notice how brown the top is, due to the high sugar content
Chocolate Sour-Cream Icing on cake.JPG
Cake slice - original.JPG