(Redirected from Alternative 2:Saffron Rice)
Saffron rice is yellow or tan, with a taste reminiscent of spice breads and spice cakes. It goes well with chicken. This recipe serves 4.
- 1 cup long grain rice, Basmati preferred
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 6 tablespoons oil or ghee
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon stick or equivalent ground cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 1.5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch of ground coriander
- pinch of ground cardamom
- Wash the rice in cool water until the water runs absolutely clear.
- Place the saffron threads in a teaspoon or tablespoon of boiling water to soak.
- Heat the oil, cinnamon, and cloves in a heavy saucepan.
- Add the celery to the saucepan.
- Add the rice to the saucepan; stir for 5 minutes and/or until the grains are golden.
- Add the stock, sugar, molasses, salt, coriander, and cardamom.
- Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer.
- Add the saffron mix, both water and threads, stirring gently.
- Cover and cook 25 minutes, or until rice is tender and the liquid absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork.Saffron Rice Recipes