Chicken Paprika Stew with Tomato
- 2 onions chopped
- 4 tbsp shortening, corn oil or lard
- 3 tbsp Hungarian paprika
- 2 tsp sugar, do not omit
- ⅛ tsp black pepper or whole pepper corns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 to 5 lbs chicken disjointed, use legs, thighs, breast and back for best flavor
- 1 large can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ pt. sour cream
- Brown onions in shortening.
- Add seasonings and chicken, brown 10 minutes.
- Do not let burn.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaf and water, cover and let simmer slowly until it is tender.
- To thicken gravy, mix into a paste 2 tbsp soft butter with 2 tbsp flour and stir into the stew liquid.
- Cook a few minutes until the liquid thickens.
- Serve with dumplings or wide noodles.
- Top each serving with sour cream.