Christmas Candy Canes
Any self-respecting Christmas tree has a right to complain if it isn't decked out with a candy cane.
- 3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp peppermint flavoring
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup light corn syrup
- ¾ tsp red vegetable coloring
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- The sugar, water, syrup, and cream of tartar you combine and heat till the Sugar"s dissolved real fine.
- Divide into two saucepans, boil, but don't stir, please, until each lot reaches 280 °F.
- Add ½ ts peppermint to each lot and add the coloring to one, the other not: place on an enamel or marble table to cool.
- First oiling the table, as a general rule
- Like taffy you stretch and pull and form into ropes of red and white, now twist them around again and again.
- And form them into your candy cane.
- Now on an oiled surface you allow them to harden, then announce to your family that these is ready for your Christmas tree.