Difference between revisions of "Coconut Beer Batter Shrimp"
m (1 revision)
Revision as of 13:28, 25 March 2012
- 2 eggs
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup beer (6 oz)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 4 dozen medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (leave tails on)
- 3 cup grated coconut, about 6 oz
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 2¼ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp sweet paprika
- 1½ tsp black pepper
- 1¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp onion powder
- ¾ tsp dried thyme
- ¾ tsp dried oregano
- Thoroughly combine the ingredients for the seasoning mix in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix 1¼ cups of the flour, 2 tsp of the seasoning mix, baking powder, eggs, and beer together in a bowl, breaking up all lumps until it is smooth.
- Combine the remaining flour with 1½ tsp of the seasoning mix and set aside.
- Place the coconut in a separate bowl.
- Sprinkle both sides of the shrimps with the remaining seasoning mix.
- Then hold shrimp by the tail, dredge in the flour mixture, shake off excess, dip each in batter and allow excess to drip off.
- Coat each shrimp with the coconut and place the shrimp on a baking sheet.
- Heat deep fryer to 350°F.
- Drop each shrimp into the hot oil and cook until golden brown, about ½ to 1 minute on each side.
- Do not crowd the fryer! drain on paper towels and serve immediately, as is, or with a dipping sauce or fruit preserve.