Dominican Feijoada II
- 2 lbs dried black beans
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups onions, chopped
- 3/4 lb Turkey Polish kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- Sort and wash beans; place in a large Dutch oven.
- Cover with water to 2 inches above beans, and bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Drain beans; set aside. Wipe pan with a paper towel.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add Onion, kielbasa, and garlic; saute 10 minutes or until Onion is tender.
- Add cumin, and saute 1 minute. Return beans to pan.
- Add water and next 3 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 10 minutes or until beans are tender; remove bay leaf.
- Stir in vinegar and hot sauce.