Green Plantain Soup
- Place the Beef in a heavy kettle with water, garlic, parsley, celery stalks, scallions, bay leaf and salt; bring to a brisk boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until meat is tender.
- Strain broth, discarding the vegetables.
- Dice the Beef and set aside.
- Return the broth to the fire and bring again to a gentle boil.
- Add to the broth worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and chopped celery.
- Slice plantains into thick rounds and fry in two or three Tbs. butter until golden.
- Pound each round with a wooden mallet until flat, and add immediately to the soup.
- Simmer an additional fifteen minutes.
- During the last few minutes of cooking time add cabbage, diced Beef and cinnamon stick.
- Discard cinnamon stick before serving the soup.