Haitian Rice and Beans
- 2 quarts water
- 2 cups dried red beans, rinsed
- 1 can (13¾ ounces) beef broth
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 parsley sprigs
- 3 scallions or green onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoons dried rosemary
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 cups rice
- Bring water to boiling.
- Add red beans and cook covered for 1½ hours.
- Drain beans, reserving liquid, and set aside.
- Add beef broth and enough water to bean liquid to equal 4¾ cups of liquid.
- Set aside.
- In a mortar, pound together to form a paste the salt, parsley, scallions, garlic, and rosemary.
- Heat oil and seasoning paste in a dutch oven over medium heat.
- Put rice in dutch oven and stir until well coated with oil.
- Add reserved liquid and bring to a boil, stirring.
- Add beans and again bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and cook undisturbed for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover, stir, and cook about 5 minutes longer, or until no liquid remains.