High-oleic safflower or sunflower oil makes a smooth, neutral base for mayonnaise that allows the added flavors of fresh herbs to shine through.
- 2 to 3 tablespoons pasteurized egg whites
- 2 to 3 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- ¼ to ½ teaspoons dry mustard powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ to ½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon fresh seasonal herbs such as basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, and sage, finely minced (optional)
- 8 tablespoons high-oleic sunflower or safflower oil, divided
- Put the egg, lemon juice, mustard powder, honey, salt, garlic, herbs and 2 tablespoons of the oil in a blender and blend on low to completely puree.
- Removing the top from the blender, very slowly drizzle in the remaining 6 tablespoons of oil, gradually turning the blender onto a higher speed.
- The mayonnaise will be thickened slightly but not as thick as commercial mayonnaise.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Use within two weeks.
Per 1 tablespoon serving (15 g-wt.):
- 90 calories (80 from fat) | 9g total fat | 0.5g saturated fat | 0g protein | 1g total carbohydrate (0g dietary fiber, 1g sugar) | 0mg cholesterol | 100mg sodium
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/