- Ethnicity - Bengali, East Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- Smear fish pieces with 1 tbsp turmeric and salt and set aside for a few minutes.
- Heat mustard oil in a deep pan and fry fish lightly until golden yellow on both sides.
- Dissolve mustard paste, remaining turmeric and salt in 1.5 cups hot water.
- Slice hot peppers lengthwise and add to the mustard sauce.
- Add a few drops of mustard oil to the sauce. Bring sauce to boil in a saucepan and add fish to it.
- Simmer until fish is tender and sauce has thickened slightly.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool, sprinkle lemon juice and serve with white rice.
- The mustard oil is quite essential as this is what gives the dish the tang.Also,it should be of good quality .
- The mustard paste is best prepared fresh by crushing 4 – 5 tbsp mustard seed with water but prepared mustard can be substituted.