- In a bowl, sift the flour and sugar together, add cardamon seeds and mix the dry ingredients.
- Rub in the butter.
- In another bowl, mix the liquids (yoghurt, milk, coconut milk, and yeast and water mixture) make a hole in the dry ingredients and pour in the liquids, stirring and making a dough that is not too stiff (you can use the bread machine to knead dough). The dough should be smooth.
- Wrap in saran wrap or wet cloth and leave in a warm place to rise for 3 – 4 hours until the dough has doubled in size.
- Put dough in a floured board and cut into 4 – 6 balls.
- Roll out the balls into circles and cut into desired shapes (diamond shapes or triangles etc.)
- Leave the cut shapes covered with a warm cloth or plastic wrap for about 1 – 2 hours.
- Heat cooking oil in a fryer, pan or sufuria until hot.
- Test for readiness by dipping a small piece of dough.
- It should puff up and rise to the surface.
- Fry your mahamris and drain on a paper towel.
- Serve with tea, as a snack or even accompaniment to the main meal.