- Serves: 5 – 6
- Preparation time: 1 hour
- Boil a glass of water with a small square of jaggery (sugar can be substituted instead of jaggery, but it will not give the same taste).
- Add 2 tsp of roasted cumin powder and thick juice of one lemon size ball of tamarind.
- Boil, cool and keep aside.
- De-seed the dates and keep aside.
- Blend into a smooth paste the dates, juice of the other lemon size tamarind ball, a little jaggery, 1 tsp roasted cumin powder, the coriander powder and salt to taste.
- Season oil with mustard seeds.
- Also add green chilies, chopped coriander leaves, red chili powder and the desiccated coconut.
- Fry for a while and then blend it into a smooth paste, adding salt to taste.
How to serve the chaat
- For each serving of the chaat, powder some vadas and add one portion of the boiled peas to it.
- Add 3-4 tbsp of the soup, 2 – 3 tsp of the hot chutney and 4-5 tsp of the sweet chutney.
- Mix well sprinkle some red chili powder and chaat masala on top.
- Garnish with grated carrot and minced onion.
- It should be served immediately or it will become soggy.