Old-fashioned Rice Croquettes
Makes 8 servings
- 4 cups hot cooked rice (cooked in chicken broth)
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 3 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- Combine rice, egg yolks, salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, chives and onion.
- Shape into croquettes using about ¼ cup rice mixture for each.
- Dip croquettes into egg whites; then in crumbs.
- For crisper coating, dip again in egg whites and crumbs.
- Deep fat fry at 390°F, or saute on both sides in oil about 1 inch deep in skillet.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve with maple syrup or a nippy cheese sauce.