Rice and Cherries in the Snow
(Redirected from RICE AND CHERRIES IN THE SNOW)
Makes 8 servings
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 1/3 cups milk, divided
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 envelope (1 tablespoon) unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 pint heavy cream, whipped
- cherry Sauce*
- 1 16-ounce can tart pitted cherries
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 to 5 drops red food coloring
- Combine rice, 3 cups milk, Sugar, salt and butter.
- Cook over medium heat 20 to 25 minutes, or until thick and creamy, stirring occasionally.
- Soften gelatin in remaining 1/3 cup milk. Stir into rice mixture. Add extracts.
- Remove from heat; cool. Fold whipped cream into rice mixture.
- Turn into large mold or 8 individual molds; chill.
- Meanwhile, drain liquid from cherries into saucepan.
- Set cherries aside. Stir Sugar and cornstarch into juice.
- Cook over low heat, stirring, until thickened.
- Add cherries and food coloring. Cool.
- To serve, unmold desserts and top with cherry Sauce.