Revision as of 18:09, 11 July 2012 by RealRecipes (Text replace - "Category:Trinidadian cuisine" to "Category:Trinidad and Tobago cuisine")
This recipe is from Trinidad in the Caribbean. The islands are famous for their rums and many of the recipes include it. If you like rum, you'll love this recipe.
- 9 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour, plus
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup dark rum
- 3 tablespoons strained fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (finely grated lime rind)
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
Coconut cream sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- With a pastry brush spread 1 tblsp butter over bottom and sides of an 8" spring-form cake pan.
- Sprinkle 2 tblsp flour into pan evenly.
- Remove excess flour.
- In a deep bowl cream remaining butter with sugar until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs- one at a time.
- Add rum, lime juice, zest.
- Continue beating until batter is smooth.
- Combine remaining flour, cornmeal and baking powder about ½ cup at a time, beating weell after each addition.
- Pour batter into the floured pan.
- Bake in middle of oven for approx 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely- remove from pan.
- Cake is traditionally served with Coconut cream sauce.
Coconut cream sauce
- Combine sugar and water in a 2-3 quart pot.
- Bring to a boil over a moderate heat, stirring only until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and cook briskly uncovered and undisturbed until syrup reaches 230°F with candy thermometer or forms soft ball if dropped into cold water.
- Remove pan to reheat.
- Stirring constantly pour in coconut cream in a thin slow stream.
- Beat egg yolks until they are well blended.
- Stir about ¼ cup of hot syrup mixture into yolks, then beat mixture back into remaining syrup.
- Return pan to low heat and stir for 4–5 minutes until sauce has the consistency of heavy cream.
- Off of the heat stir in vanilla and rum.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate the sauce for at least 2 hours or until it is thoroughly chilled.
- Serve with rum cake.