Trask Homestead Stew
Contributed by Healthy Recipes for diabetic Friends Y-Group
- ¾ lb stew meat, cubed
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- ½ cup turnip, peeled and cubed, or 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 – 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 – 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- ⅓ cup barley
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut up vegetables; set aside.
- Cut stew beef into cubes.
- Braise until very brown in kettle or deep saucepan.
- Add vegetables.
- Add enough water to cover all, plus one cup.
- Bring to boil.
- Add spices, barley, and soy sauce.
- Simmer covered one to two hours.
- To serve, bring to slow boil and add dumplings.
- Mix together with fork.
- Drop by tablespoon onto boiling stew.
- Cover, cook 12 minutes.
- Do not peek or dumplings will get soggy.