Turkey Meatball Grinders
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 each red and green bell pepper, cored seeded, halved and slivered
- 2 clove garlic, peeled and slightly bruised
- 2 can (28 oz each) Italian plum tomatoes, drained and chopped, juice reserved
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- pinch sugar
- salt and black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 med onion, grated
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten or use 1 egg white or 2 tbsp of egg substitute
- 2 tbsp olive oil, for frying 
- 3 Italian breads, about 15-in long and 3-in wide 
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium-low heat.
- Add onion, bell peppers and garlic; cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes along with 1 cup of reserved juices, tomato paste, oregano, sugar, salt and black pepper.
- Cook for 25 minutes.
- Mash the garlic in the pot and adjust the seasonings.
- Stir in the parsley and set the sauce aside.
- Mix all the ingredients, except oil, together in a bowl.
- Form the mixture into 24 meatballs, each about 1 ½ inches in diameter.
- (See note 1 below) heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat and cook the meatballs in batches, shaking the pan occasionally, for about 10 to 12 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Add more oil if necessary.
- Remove the meatballs to paper towels to drain.
- Place the tomato sauce over medium heat to warm through.
- Add the meatballs and cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
- To serve, spoon about ¼ cup of the sauce into each piece of bread or roll, coating the interior well.
- Insert 3 meatballs into each and serve immediately.
- Rather than frying the meatballs, bake them at 350°F for 35 to 45 minutes on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with a nonstick vegetable spray. Cut to test for doneness. This will further reduce the fat content.
- (Trish) cut each of the breads in 3 pieces, with centers hollowed out; or use 8 french rolls, each about 5 inches long and 3 inches wide.
Per serving (3 meatballs, without egg) : calories - 668, fat - 18 gms. (about 24% of calories from fat), cholesterol - 90 mg. No diabetic exchanges were listed.