Steak stew with rice
- 2 pounds sirloin steak or tenderized beef, cut in 12 pieces
- 4½ cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ cup peanut oil
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1½ - 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 cup rice
- Simmer steak in ½ cup of water to which 1 teaspoon salt has been added, until water is evaporated.
- Brown steak in ¼ cup hot oil.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- Combine in saucepan 1 tomato, ½ of the chopped onion, 1 tablespoon tomato paste, crushed red pepper, remaining oil, and 2 cups of water.
- Simmer until water is almost evaporated.
- Add browned meat to tomato mixture and simmer gently until mixture is thick and all water evaporated.
- Cook rice in remaining water, to which 1 teaspoon of salt has been added, for 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining onion and tomato and remaining tomato paste to the rice.
- Cover saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes.