English Recidemia is an encyclopedia of authoritative recipes that can be edited by users just like articles on Wikipedia. Click here for more information and for recipes in other languages.
From Recidemia English
Lithuanian Honey Liqueur
- 2 teaspoons caraway seed
- 10 whole cloves
- 10 whole allspice
- 4 sticks cinnamon
- 2 sticks vanilla
- 2 pieces yellow ginger
- 2 pieces white ginger
- 10 cardamom seeds
- ½ nutmeg
- 3 strips orange rind
- 3 strips lemon rind
- 1 pinch saffron
- 4 cups water
- 2 lbs honey
- 1 quart grain alcohol
- Crack cardamon seeds and nutmeg.
- Boil spices, rind and water in a covered pot until liquid is reduced to about 2 cups.
- In a pot large enough to hold the spiced liquid, alcohol and honey, bring honey to a boil.
- Skim off the foam.
- Pour spiced liquid into honey and stir.
- Remove from heat.
- Place far away from heat to prevent flare-up or expolsion of alcohol.
- Slowly, and very carefully, pour in alcohol.
- Replace pot on low heat.
- Heat, being careful not to simmer or boil, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool in the same covered pot overnight.
- Following day, pour into bottles and allow to settle (about 2 weeks).
- The longer it sits, the clearer it becomes and the better it tastes.