American Potato Salad with Hard-boiled Eggs and Sweet Pickles
- 2 lbs red potatoes, scrubbed (about 6 medium or 18 small)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cut into 1 to 2 inch dice
- 1 stalk celery, minced (about ½ cup)
- 2 tablespoons minced red onions
- ¼ cup sweet gherkins, minced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- Cover potatoes with 1 inch of water in stockpot or Dutch oven.
- Bring to simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring once or twice to ensure even cooking, until potatoes are tender *cut potatoes into ¾-inch cubes (use serrated knife if they have skins) while still warm, rinsing knife occasionally in warm water to remove starch.
- Place warm potato cubes in large bowl.
- Add vinegar, 1-2 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and toss gently.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cool, about 20 minutes.
- When potatoes are cool, toss with remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.