Polenta with small birds
- 16 small birds (beccaficos, larks, thrushes)
- 400 g (14 oz) cornmeal
- 100 g (3½ oz) butter
- 60 g (2 oz) lardo (cured back fat of pork) cut into small pieces
- 8 sage leaves
- Prepare polenta with the flour. Pluck the birds and singe, and discard the eyes and claws.
- Wash, dry and place on skewers, alternating with the lardo pieces and sage leaves.
- In a frying pan, brown the skewers in the butter, melted, add a little salt, and allow to cook for 15 minutes or until done.
- Spread the polenta on a plate, and place the skewers, with the sauce, on top.