Sage, Mountain Gorgonzola and Fig Pizza
- Combine warm water, yeast and rye flour to make sponge. Set aside in very warm place for 20 minutes.
- Stir in milk, olive oil, salt, flour and lukewarm water. Place dough on lightly floured work surface, and knead by hand for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place dough in large mixing bowl, and set aside to double in very warm place. Punch down, and allow to rise for 40 minutes more. Place dough on lightly floured work surface, and divide into 2 balls. Place in mixing bowl, cover with oiled plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- When ready to make pizzas, preheat oven to 500 °F.
- Remove one dough ball from refrigerator, and flatten on lightly floured work surface or cookie sheet. Using floured hands, work dough out by pulling in circle. Using knuckles, slowly stretch dough into large disc 12 inches round. Repeat with second ball of dough.
- Place discs on preheated pizza stone or pizza pan. Drizzle each with extra virgin olive oil.
- Place small pieces of Gorgonzola on each dough circle. Add fresh figs and fig preserves, if using. Sprinkle with sage, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake in oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until crust is browned. Top with greens, and serve.